The Next Level.
Sophisticated Data Analysis.
Easy to use like never before.
ATLAS.ti 8 Windows
Completely re-designed in nearly every aspect, ATLAS.ti 8 Windows is poised to set new standards for computer-assisted qualitative data analysis.
ATLAS.ti 8 Feature Matrix
ATLAS.ti 8 Windows – Release Candidate 1.
Out on Dec. 6, 2016: ATLAS.ti 8 Windows – Release Candidate 1.
ATLAS.ti 8 is easier to learn and use than any other QDA program–including older versions of ATLAS.ti.
For our latest offering, we listened closely to our users’ needs and wishes, and have focused especially on a maximum degree of usability. ATLAS.ti 8’s completely revamped interface has been designed to follow rigorous priciples of function-oriented usability. It employs a logical ribbon structure, context menus and keyboard shortcuts to make your work flow as ergonomic as possible.
Shortcomings of older versions have been eliminated, and much requested new functionality has been added. Most notably, unlimited Undo/Redo is now possible with every aspect of the program. Full native Unicode support lets you work with material in any language and character set. An easy-to-use search tool performs fine-grained searches on every level of your project. Simultaneous work with multiple data sources supports new comparative approaches.
ATLAS.ti 8 is easy to learn. Many formerly convoluted processes have been radically simplified. The focus is on getting results quickly and efficiently.
ATLAS.ti 8 is powerful and innovative. Stylish network visualizations serve both the analytical process and provide excellent presentation tools. Importing surveys, data from Twitter as well as from your favorite reference manager is a breeze.
ATLAS.ti 8 comes with with the future built-in. Completely rewritten and based on the latest technological platform, ATLAS.ti 8 allows for rapid, modular expansion. So expect to see previously unthinkable new possibilities in the coming months and years as ATLAS.ti 8 continues to grow by design.
These are some of the powerful new features:
- Under the hood: Clean separation of data layer, application logic, and user interface, latest technology for safe and reliable performance.
- Unicode throughout
- Undo/Redo (100 steps)
- Direct import of Twitter, Endnote, Evernote data
- Powerful Visual Query Editor for creating and modifying SmartCodes and SmartGroups
- Full project search (former “Word cruncher”) significantly improved with dynamic fade-in/fade-out hit categories
- Elegant and trememdously useful new network layout options
- Network groups
- Memo comments
- State-of-the-art, highly intuitive user interface with ribbons, tabbed views, flexible navigation areas.
- All tool windows can be freely positioned
- Multiple documents
- More powerful “margin” than ever, many new interactive functions.
Features Yet To Come
At the time of the RC1 release, the following areas are still missing or incomplete:
- Project exchange between ATLAS.ti Mac and ATLAS.ti Windows
- Teamwork scenario with central, shared project directories
- Non-English user interface
- Some specific functionalities (see below)
Functionality still to be added:
- Document editing
- Print documents with margin
- Global filters
- Interrater reliability
- Relative values in code-doc table
- XML converter
- Transfer of (very) large projects between ATLAS.ti 8 Windows users is tedious, currently no partial project bundles (eg without linked videos) possible (all or nothing).
- Copy & Paste of text between comments and memos only as plain text.
- Multimedia: Some shortcuts and presentation details still to be added.
- Associated Documents: Synchronization and display occssionally .
Making the Switch – Now or Later?
To all user of ATLAS.ti Windows:
For a short while, we will still be selling ATLAS.ti 7 and ATLAS.ti 8 bundled together. ATLAS.ti 8 has all the essential tools and features the average user’s needs. But some specialized tools required for particular types of work (e.g., team projects) will be still added during the first few months following its release.
We urge you to consider if you want to make the switch to ATLAS.ti 8 now or wait a few months, so as to avoid potential problems or frustration.
We will release currently absent features successively through service packs over the next few months. Still, it is important that you make an informed decision if ATLAS.ti 8 version is right for you at this time.
Switching to ATLAS.ti 8 now
Switching to ATLAS.ti 8 immediately is recommended for you if you…
- …start a new project from scratch
- …have no team project exchange requirements
- …work in different languages simultaneously – full Unicode support!
- …don’t need associated documents (= simultaneous transcript and media) yet
Switching to ATLAS.ti 8 a little later
In some cases, we advise users to wait with making the switch to ATLAS.ti 8. Staying with ATLAS.ti 7 for now is your best choice if you…
- …require a user interface language other than English
- …work in a team and/or need shared libraries
- …work with geo-spatial data
- …need to edit primary documents
- …need to transfer projects from ATLAS.ti Windows to ATLAS.ti Mac
Some of the above scenarios rely on features not currently available in ATLAS.ti 8 just yet. Please keep checking the ATLAS.ti 7/ATLAS.ti 8 comparison table below every once in a while over the next few months to see if your favorite tool has already been implemented.
At the time of the release, ATLAS.ti 8 Windows is NOT recommended for the following types/groups of users:
- Version 7 users who are currently in the middle of a project with time constraints. Each new technology also has its learning curve; fluid mastery of each new tool needed time.
- Users who work as part of a team, specially where colleagues also work with ATLAS.ti Mac and who need to exchange projects. This will be finally become fully possible with ATLAS.ti Mac 1.5 and updates of ATLAS.ti 8 Windows in January 2017.
- ATLAS.ti 7 users who are dependent on certain functions that are currently missing.
- Users who are dependent on interface language other than English (Spanish and German to be available in January 2017)
Since versions 7 and 8 can be installed in parallel, you can already install version 8 and explore its possibilities without slowing down your ongoing projects.
Project Transfer – Please read
IMPORTANT: While project transfer from ATLAS.ti 7 Windows to ATLAS.ti 8 is fully supported, backward compatibility with ATLAS.ti 7 and project transfer from Mac to PC is currently not yet possible. Full project exchange between ATLAS.ti 8 Windows and ATLAS.ti Mac will be enabled in January 2017.
For a short time, ATLAS.ti 8 Windows will be bundled together with ATLAS.ti 7. Both versions can be installed side-by-side. This is because ATLAS.ti 8 Windows RC1 is still missing a few features which makes it less useful for some specific user groups until these have been implemented through a series of upcoming updates (over the next few months).